Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Back in Business again

I got the call I’d been waiting for – my sewing machine was ready for collection.  Barry, the super-duper sewing machine technician had it all set up ready and waiting for me, and asked if I would like a run through with using my Bernina BSR (stitch regulator) foot.  Certainly I would, I do free motion occasionally, but each time I have another try I seem to have forgotten what I knew earlier – must be a sign of getting older, I feel.  Barry reminded me to remove the foot pedal, and use the on/off button and then I had a play.  He is such a kind and helpful man, and I really appreciated the extra tuition time he gave me.

P2200010
Barry’s sample piece to check the tension

My 440QE Bernina has now done a little over 4 million stitches, Barry told me!  That’s not to say it is getting old, he assured me, it is a good machine and will be around for quite some time.  Sewing machines are like cars, and need regular maintenance, don’t they?  My machine gets an annual service, because we all know that quilters use their machines a lot more than the average home sewer.

P2200009

So far, I’ve just used the machine to do a little mending.  It’s Saturday today and I’ve been busy cooking up a storm.  How does ham and cheese quiche sound with hot rhubarb sponge pudding for tonight’s meal?  Plus I’m planning ahead and also made a cranberry loaf which I will slice up for expected visitors on Monday.

I’ve been mulling over a plan with how best to deal with my UFOs – tell you about it next time.

Have a great weekend, wherever you may be. 

4 comments:

Tawa said...

I was told Barry didn't do electronic/computer machines. Is that not so? Anyway I have heard he is the one to go to. Almost a kiwi legend, from what I hear.

Jenny said...

Yes he does, if we are talking about the same Barry. Such a helpful bloke.

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh that must be lovely to have your machine back -I need to send mine for a service but I'm a bit reluctant to be parted from it!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Your machine looks awesome and I love the way you know now the tension is exact. That's always something I wonder about.