Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Slow Cooking Sunday

It’s been a day spent in the kitchen for me – no wonder I haven’t been getting much stitching done lately.  But it’s nice to be home for the weekend instead of gavilvanting around in the caravan, and there is nothing nicer than a bout of “slow cooking”.  The lovely foodie aromas make the wait worthwhile.

I’ve made a big pot of pumpkin soup with one of my $1 bargain buys from our last travels.  The pumpkin was cooked up in the crock-pot (slow cooker) yesterday.  Thanks to my friend Dot, I would never have thought of doing it this way myself.  Robin got the job of blitzing it this morning with the hand held wand, as I can’t be trusted not to get it all over myself, and the walls, if I lift the appliance out while it is still whirring away.  Then I added some chopped onion and bacon cooked in a little butter, with a spoon of curry powder to give it all a lift.  Served with a swirl of cream for lunch, it was divine, and there is plenty left for another lunch, and maybe freeze a container for later use.

P7130002 Pumpkin Soup for lunch

Dinner is all prepared, and waiting to go into the oven later in the afternoon.   We are having meatloaf (mixed and sitting in the fridge), roasted honey yams, and I’ve stewed the fruit for rhubarb and apple sponge pudding.  Mmm, perhaps some whipped cream will go nicely with that.  Other veggies are all prepared, so I just have to mix up the sponge topping for the pudding shortly.

I’m not usually one to watch cooking programmes on TV, but I have to admit that I’ve been enjoying watching “Save with Jamie”.  His idea is to spend a bit more on a family roast, then enjoy using the leftovers in creative ways.  Sensible recipes with a bit of a twist, some I’m quite keen to try, and I’ve picked up a few tips too.  Just goes to show that you are never to old to learn!

I’m going to sit down quietly now and do a little more on my secret squirrel birthday stitchery.  Robin is outside pottering about in his shed, and Muffy is dead to the world catching up on her beauty sleep, so I’ll make use of some quiet time.  Hope every one is having a lovely Sunday too.

1 comment:

Nancy J said...

That is a meal fit for a Queen or King, I have heard that the hand held wands do a wonderful job to smooth the soups, I can see it twirling happily in your hand, as you just talk and then wave it, every so little!!! Enjoy. Cheers, Jean.