Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Quilted Gumboot, Taihape

Why call a quilt shop “The Quilted Gumboot”, you may ask.  Because it is situated in Taihape, known as the Gumboot Capital of the World.  Read all about how this town got this name here.

P6120018 Step inside the Quilted Gumboot

Owner Pauline Baddeley has been running her quilt shop for several years now, but this is the first time I have called in
P6120008A customer made this for the shop

A what a lovely little shop it is, chock full of all sorts of interesting items.  Fabric, of course, with a lovely range of Kiwiana designs, knitting wool, notions, and patterns.

P6120012 Lots to browse through

P6120015 Knitting wool, needles, and kits

There was a range of lovely hand knitted tea cosies for the serious tea drinker, and I saw some beautiful knitted  knee rugs.  The Quilted Gumboot offers classes, and has stitching days too when Pauline provides home made cake and serves drinks in fancy tea cups.  Sounds like my kind of place, what a shame I don’t live closer.

P6120013 Pauline of the Quilted Gumboot

Of course I didn’t leave empty handed.  I found a fat quarter of special fabric to use in a memory quilt I’m planning, plus a cute Christmas pattern (Yuletide Yoyos) for a Santa, snowman and reindeer.  All I have to do is master the art of making yo-yos.  That shouldn’t be too hard, should it?  I’ve never made them before.

P6120017 Quilts on display

Do pop in if you are passing by, Pauline will make you very welcome.  The Quilted Gumboot is at 6 Tui Street, Taihape, around by the station.

3 comments:

Nancy J said...

My "must visit" every time we go north, and I too leave with full hands . Always some batik that takes my eye. Cheers,Jean.

Sue said...

I thought I had stopped at every quilt shop on roads we drive, but have missed this one! Can hardly wait to go north again. I tell my partner that it is essential to inject cash into local economies`-)

Leeann said...

I usually pop in here too if I'm going thru Taihape. It's pretty convenient because the public toilet is across the road!