Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Even more Quilts

There were so many lovely quilts that caught my eye at the Calling all Quilts show, I felt I should share a few more with you.  I don’t do hand appliqué, and prefer to do my version by machine, but can certainly appreciate the hours and hours of work involved in making a large appliqué quilt.  Janice Davison stitched “Spring Flowers”  because she wanted a challenge, she declared.

P5240030 Spring Flowers

My Viewers Choice vote went to “Simply Beautiful”, stitched by Julia Vazey.  The simplicity of the design is set off with the most beautiful machine quilting.  And those pretty shades just glow against the white background.

P5240018

P5240019
Simply Beautiful

I love big quilts, but there were many lovely small quilts too, which caught my eye.  Such as Autumn Delight, by Maree Schroder, who used one of her own photos for inspiration,

P5240035  Autumn Delight

And “Singing the Blues”, made by Helen Pooley as part of the Mini Quilt Challenge.  The theme was “Blue” and could be interpreted in colour, context, and could be literal or figurative.

P5240048 Singing the Blues

The Hoffman Challenge quilts were shown in another room, and once again, the entries could not be square or rectangular.  The challenge fabric was interesting Eastern style print in Autumn shades and my favourite was “The Lion in the Library”, by Sophie Wood.  Her inspiration came from a well remembered illustration hanging in her grand-parents home.

P5240060

P5240058
The Lion in the Library

This last one speaks to all of us quilters, doesn’t it?  Kay Lord stitched “Proud to be a Quilter”, and is the first quilt she had quilted by machine.  Surely made to hang in her sewing room?

P5240008 Another happy quilter!

No comments: