Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Stonestead 5th Annual Out Door Quilt Festival

The sun was shining, the quilts were wafting in the breeze, and happy quilters were everywhere.  My friend Kathryn had come to look at the quilts with me and Robin dropped us off while he went to find somewhere to park the car.  Robin and I had recently moved out of the area but maybe I would meet up with some former Pinestream Quilters, I hoped.

DSCF4462 Some of the quilts on display

The happy smiling faces of fellow quilters Beverley and Bridget greeted us and handed out the catalogues.  And look, they are busy stitching away too.  The quilt show was free but a gold coin collection was being made on behalf of Te Omanga Hospice.

DSCF4460 Beverley and Bridget

Catalogues in hand, Kathryn and I wandered along the rows and admired the quilts.  With 60+ on display, I couldn’t photograph them all, but here are some of my favourites.  “Emanon” is a Stained Glass Stack and Whack design, and was made by my former “Stitching Monday” member, Joyce.  And the edge of that lovely Drunkard’s Path just showing in the photo was also made by Joyce.  That one is a Friendship Quilt and I, together with members of the Friday Stitchers, made some of the blocks for Joyce.

DSCF4441 Stained Glass Stack and Whack quilt by Joyce

This was rather nice - “Lilies in Retreat” was made from an Adrienne Walker kit, a gift from Jill’s husband, and made at a quilting retreat.  I particularly liked the assortment of black fabrics used in the background, so much more interesting that just using one solid black, as I would probably have done.

DSCF4447Lilies in Retreat, made by Jill

We hadn’t gone very far along the lines of quilts when a lady approached me.  “Are you Jenny?”, she asked.  It’s a long story, but Felicity who comes from Norsewood, and her friend Marie who lives in Ashburton belong to the Kiwi Quilter Internet group, as I do.  Last year I had mentioned on KQ list that we were having a caravan holiday touring around the South Island for 3 months, and Marie kindly invited us to her home for a meal.  Since then both Marie and Felicity have been reading my quilt blog.  Thanks so much Felicity for making yourself known to me, and thanks again to Marie for a wonderful evening.  All this goes to show how sharing and caring quilters are!

DSCF4448It was lovely to meet you, Felicity

Very graphic and stylish, “Not a Traditional Double Wedding Ring” was a wedding quilt for Yvonne’s daughter.

DSCF4453 Wedding quilt made for Yvonne’s daughter

Quilt novel author Jennifer Chiaverini of Elm Creek fame designed the pattern for “Silvia’s Bridal Sampler”.  (Yes, I’m a fan of her books too).  This lovely quilt was made by Jenny H.
  
DSCF4454Silvia’s Bridal Sampler stitched by Jenny H

Made in soft colours with lots of trademark Bronwyn Hayes stitcheries, this pretty quilt “Quilting Friendship” was made  by Janet
.
DSCF4465 Janet’s Quilting Friendship

It’s highly unlikely that I will ever make a hexagon quilt, but I was in awe if all the work which went into making “Hexagons for Sue and Kevin”.  “That’s all done by hand”, I told Kathryn, “all hand pieced and hand quilted”.  Made with 15,343 hexies, it really is a labour of love.

DSCF4467 Hexagon quilt lovingly stitched by Sue

The hot sun was taking it’s toll, so we wandered over to the adjacent Stonestead Tea Rooms to find Robin chatting with a group of caravan friends from the Wainuiomata Caravan Club.  They were having a weekend rally close by and popped in to view the quilt show.  We happily took over their table with the shady sun umbrella as they got up to leave.  Now, how about a nice Devonshire Tea – or coffee, in our case?

DSCF4459 Kathryn and Robin ready to eat their scones

It was a lovely morning spent admiring all the quilts.  With all my quilting stuff packed away with the furniture in the lock-up unit while our new home is being built, I have been certainly been suffering from withdrawal symptoms.  It was great to chat with local quilters, and a special “hello” to fellow bloggers June, Jenny H and Julz.  And congratulations to Yvonne from Sawmillers and all the helpers for organizing such a wonderful quilty day.

4 comments:

Nancy J said...

My favourite " Quilting Friendship' but each one is beautiful, and so many hours fo fine stitching before we see them. Cheers, Jean

Leeann said...

I know Fliss (Felicity) from when I lived in Dannevirke. It really is a small world :-)

Frances Leate said...

It looks like a great quilt show and I love the photos you posted. I see your new home is coming along and hope it won't be too long before you can get settled. Take care.

Jenny said...

Yes, it is a small world indeed, Leeann, and quilters are such lovely people.