Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Going to Bed with Jack

“Are you taking that book to bed again?” Robin asked recently.  It wasn’t actually the same book, but I must admit I’ve got a “bit of a thing” for author Lee Child’s character Jack Reacher.  So whenever I find one I haven’t read, Jack comes to bed with me at night!  I’ve read quite a few, and managed to track down the very first book, “Killing Floor”.  I really wanted to know how Jack started out, and what makes him tick.

DSCF3292 The first Jack Reacher novel

In this book Lee Child presents Jack Reacher for the first time, as the tough ex-military cop of no fixed abode: a righter of wrongs, a stoic, ice-cool drifter and former military investigator, the perfect action hero. (The “Thinking Woman’s Hero”, I read somewhere.  Can’t really claim to be a thinking woman, but I certainly love reading). This  is the debut novel by Lee Child, first published in 1997, and won the Anthony Award and Barry Award for best first novel.

As much as I love the the books, and the character, I just don’t think I will be able to sit through the recently released movie, which has Tom Cruise cast as Jack Reacher.  Come on now, Jack is described as a rough, tough 6ft 5in, well built hero.  How could Tom Cruise, a short, small built man,  be cast in the movie as my hero?  Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher – no way.  I’m NOT going to see the film, I’d only come away laughing.  So I’ll settle for getting yet another book from the library, and taking Jack to bed again!

And if anyone is interested, I’ve consumed 48 books in 2012, and nine of them were Lee Child/Jack Reacher novels.  Other authors which I’ve read over the year are James Patterson – 4, Sean Black – 2, Lisa Gardner – 2.  I also quite like to read historical royal novels and particularly enjoyed The Lady of the Rivers and The King Maker’s Daughter, both by award winning Philippa Gregory, and The Golden Prince, by Rebecca Dean,   And yes, I do read quilt inspired books too, and read The Goodbye Quilt by Susan Wiggs and both Sonoma Rose and The Union Quilters, by Jennifer Chiaverini. Added to the list were the weighty Dublin, by Edward Rutherfurd, Lady Chatterley’s Lover, by D H Lawrence (a surprise gift from my daughter) and the New Zealand West Coast novel Heart of Gold, by Jenny Pattrick.  I can’t wait to join the local Levin Library when we move into our new home, but can’t do this straight away.  As I understand, I will have to take proof of residence.

So what has been your favourite read over the last year?  And I wonder if anyone else shares my passion for Jack?

5 comments:

June said...

I love reading too Jenny, my favourite over the last twelve months has to be Yann Martel's "Life of Pi". I tried Jack, read and enjoyed one but then found the second to be too full of blokey detail - exact measurements when he's setting up an ambush etc. which didn't do it for me. I've read that several people have seen the film who thought the same as you, but found they were pleasantly surprised. I have a book diary from 1972 when I joined the Doubleday Book club and started buying books instead of just getting them from the library - which is why I have six bookcases!

Leeann said...

I love Jack too and have read all the books. The Affair is set when he is still in the army, and the story is kind of why he left. There is also another book from when he is still in the army and he meets up with his brother in Paris after their Mother dies, but I can't remember which one that was!

MrsC (Maryanne) said...

Wow you have read a lot of book. I am a terror for reading the same books again and again. However recently I've been reading Louise Penny again - I read her first three a few years ago and caught up with the rest. Intense but wonderful.

Shirley said...

I am with you all the way Jenny and if ever there was miscasting then this is it. I am sure Tom Cruise will do a sterling job but if you have read the books then no way does he fit the bill. I am a big fan too if you haven't already guessed. I am currently reading The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton and gripped by it.

FlourishingPalms said...

I've never heard of Jack Reacher. Would that be a character by an Aussie author? My favorite read - actually, LISTEN, as I almost exclusively listen to audiobooks - was "The Help." Though, I would also recommend "A Voice in the Wind," by Francine Rivers.