Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Have you ever seen a Patchwork Car?

The day dawned warm and sunny so it was all systems go for the Stonestead 3rd Annual Outdoor Quilt Festival.  A whole lots of quilts strung along the edge of the property beckoned to us as we parked the car. These particular quilts were not part of the exhibition, but were waving in the breeze as a kind of “welcoming committee”. 
DSCF5356 This way to the quilt show
This spectacular patchwork car cover certainly piqued everyone’s interest as they walked onto the property.  It is made up of a variety of different quilt blocks, and was loaned by Toni Waygood.  Unfortunately, I don’t have any more info on the story behind this project, so far.
DSCF5357 Pretty in pink on this side
What a lot of work to make a cover like this.  Sadly, Robin said “no way” when I told him all about it.  With all my current UFOs I don’t think I could tackle such a big job like this.
DSCF5358Perhaps you prefer these blocks?
I spotted someone with a very impressive camera taking photos.  Could that be the blogger Julz from Julz Design whom I had been waiting to meet?  Yes it was, and she graciously posed for a photo with me on the veranda of Sawmillers Quiltery, sparing a minute from her volunteer duties at the quilt show.  Julz is a quilter, a blogger, a very keen photographer and likes to take part in cycling events in her spare time.  So nice to meet you at last, Julz.
DSCF5359 Jenny and Julz,  fellow quilters and bloggers
After all that excitement my quilting buddy Jenni F and I handed over our entry of a  gold coin donation (with all proceeds going to Te Omanga Hospice) and walked into the garden with lots of glorious quilts hung on wooden clotheslines.
 DSCF5360Some of the quilts on show
We checked out the small Stonestead Challenge quilts.  These had to depict the property and the tea rooms, and use some of the challenge fabric.  Tea cup, trees, outdoor scenes featured on many of the challenges, and several incorporated cross stitch as well.  The winners were to be chosen from viewer’s choice.   We finally made our decision each.
DSCF5361 The challenge quilts
Do check back tomorrow to see the quilts which caught my eye at the outdoor show.

1 comment:

Maria said...

What a wonderful quilt show Jenny. So many beautiful quilts displayed on the line.
The car quilt is interesting but agree with Robyn. No way do I want one. LOL
So nice to meet a blogger. So far I have only met one.