Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Stitching Group

I really enjoy attending the monthly stitching group organised by my club, Pinestream Quilters. The attendees vary, depending on what is happening in everyone’s life, but most certainly try to get there each month. It is fun to see what everyone is up to, and the progress made during the month on some of the more involved pieces.

DSCF3555Several of the ladies busy at their machines

I took along some labels to write on and sew on the back of several small Christmas Tree quilts. These will be going overseas later in the year so I am planning ahead. Silly me, I thought I would whip through this task in no time at all. Things always take longer than you think, and it took me most of the morning to stitch the labels on their respective wall hangings.

DSCF3557 My labels for Christmas Tree quilts

Barbara was busy stitching away on a very pretty floral strippy quilt for her daughter and son-in-law. The soft colours look rather like a garden full of spring flowers. There is still a bit more to go, but is is certainly well on the way.

DSCF3558 Barbara's strippy floral quilt

Children’s quilts are always fun and Jo was machine quilting this bright and colourful quilt for her little grandson. The striped binding really works in well with the bright and colourful tractor panels. What little boy wouldn’t love this as their very own quilt?

DSCF3560 Jo’s tractor quilt for her grandson

Now…. what were the others doing? Maureen and Margaret were both working on little quilts to donate to Special Care Unit at Hutt Hospital. Maureen loves to make little Christmas quilts and was sewing the bindings on several that she had just completed. Margaret was pinning up a couple of pretty little quilts, getting them ready for machine quilting. Joyce was sewing half square triangles together, and everything was going well until she sewed one on the wrong end of the strip. So out came the unpicker – where would we be without these handy little tools? Pamela and Christine were both working on long term projects. Christine’s hexagon quilt still isn’t quite big enough and needed more hexagons added. I really admire all the work that goes into hexagon quilts, don’t think I would tackle one. Pamela was making a pieced border for her daughter’s Lone Star quilt. It will look rather stunning when it is completed. Thanks everyone for a great day, we all got a bit further on with our projects.

Technorati Tags: ,

1 comment:

Lis Harwood said...

Barbara's quilt is going to be a stunner. I'm off to my sewing group this morning and will be working on my miniature Storm at Sea from Timaru (hope I can remember what to do). Great venue for your meetings btw, looks a lovely room. Best wishes, Lis x