Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, September 11, 2017

No Sewing Happening

We’ve been back from our holiday in Australia a week, and not a stitch of sewing has been done.  That’s not to say I haven’t been busy, though.  The suitcases have finally been emptied and carried back upstairs to our little loft.  It may be Spring here but the weather has been wet and cold, so that means winter cooking, as far as I’m concerned.  So I’ve cooked up a big pot of pumpkin soup one day, flavoured with bacon and a touch of curry powder.  Then I had a beef casserole simmering away in the crock pot, I do love winter comfort food.  And most importantly, we had a big day out with friends to celebrate Robin (almost) turning 70.  His actual birthday is on Tuesday, so maybe we will squeeze another celebration or two into the week.

P1060541
Happy 70th Birthday to Robin

The only thing remotely like sewing I’ve done is to pin some sashing strips onto my Australian blocks.  I know, some of you don’t bother to pin, but I really feel the need to.  When I finally get to sit at the sewing machine I can get started on these blocks, or maybe even use them as leaders and enders.

P1060553
Pinned sashings to Aussie blocks

Sadly, sitting at my sewing machine will have to wait as we are going away on a caravan trip for the next two weeks.  I’ll have to sort out some hand stitching to take with me.

9 comments:

Kate said...

Happy birthday to Robin! Your pumpkin soup sounds delicious - nothing beats comfort food.

TheEclecticAbuela said...

I, too, am a spinner--I have much better results. :)

HEATHER B said...

was just checking up to see what the dice had rolled out today. but its happy birthday Robin instead. all the best. Heather B

Tired Teacher said...

Happy Birthday! Celebrate as much as you can and enjoy your caravan trip.

Maria said...

Happy 70th birthday 🎉 Robin...
Boy you two sure are the Happy Wonders...
Enjoy !

Jenny said...

Many thanks for your kind comments about Robin's birthday. Just as well he has me as the Social Co-ordinator! Hes been itching to get away in the caravan again, so we are heading to Hamilton, via Taupo, then on the Wanganui.

Janice said...

Happy Birthday Robin! There's never a dull moment in your lives. Your week at home sounds pretty much like the week between our two holidays - winding one up and prepping for the next. Here's hoping the weather improves for you.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Jenny, I think I am caught up...I went back as far as Moira's Zen style embroidered fox which I would like to see, btw. What a fabulous trip you had and I learned so much from your wonderful posts and photos. I didn't even know parts of Australia were so tropical, had never heard of a cassowary bird or canonball tree. And as usual, what lovely eats. I too love train travel and it is the best for seeing the countryside. Love how you are taking the time to write about it all on your memory blocks. Thanks for sharing it all.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh and big happy 70th to Robin.