With the weekend spent away in the caravan at Lutz farm in Otaki, I didn’t have the chance sit at my sewing machine and work away on my Amanda Jean apron. But we had a fun filled country weekend, and if you would like to see what we got up to, check out our other blog here. And, believe it or not - yours truly won the milking contest, not too bad for a girl from suburbia!
A new week, and another roll of the dice. This time the dice fell on number 5, which is a new project I’m starting for my grand-daughter Emma. She loves horses, and requested a black and grey quilt. That’s a bit dull, I thought, so I’m sneaking in some of a pretty red/blue batik in too, for contrast. I’ve been gathering blacks and greys for a while now, so it’s a good time to start. There will be horses involved in this quilt, but not till I’m much further along with the blocks.
At the moment I will concentrate on making 9 patch units, and cut lots of strips to to make a start. Although I have quite a lot of plain black, I decided to use that just as the centre square of the 9 patch, and purchased lots of black fabrics with patterns, for variety.
Strips cut and ready to sew
And after a couple of hours spent stitching strips together, pressing, then slicing, this is what I’ve got to show. Next step will be pinning some of those 9 patch blocks together so they will be ready for my next session at the sewing machine.
On the cutting board