Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, February 16, 2015

My Little Boy and Chocolate Crunch

My little boy, or to be quite truthful – not so little, came for a visit yesterday.  He rang through on Saturday to tell me that he was up in Wellington from Christchurch for the weekend and were we free on Sunday?  Luckily we were, so he came drove up to have lunch with us.  We hadn’t met up since Michael’s 50th birthday last year, so there was plenty to talk about.  This was Michael’s first visit to our new home, so he got the grand tour, and later on we took a walk around the village complex.  After lunch I served some baking which had quite a family connection and brought back some memories.  I used to make batch after batch of Chocolate Crunch for my two ever so hungry school kids for their school lunches.  Those were the days!

This is a good easy recipe and mixes up in no time at all.

1 cup flour, 1 cup coconut, half cup sugar, 1 heaped tablespoon cocoa, 1 teaspoon baking powder.  Mix together in bowl.  Add 6oz melted butter and combine.  Put into greased Swiss roll tin and pat down.  Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  When cool ice with chocolate icing and sprinkle with coconut.

Or if time is short, do what I did this time and cook in microwave for 5-6 minutes.  This makes a softer slice, so I then keep it in the fridge.

P2160038 Chocolate Crunch slice

It was only a fleeting visit and he flew back to Christchurch today.  No matter how big they grow, or how old they are, Mum’s can still remember those baby and toddler days, can’t they?

P2150030 Michael with his Mum

4 comments:

Esther Aliu said...

Love your chocolate crunch!
Thanks for the recipe.

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Chocolate Crunch. Hugely popular with our family too! Sometimes Mum made a batch every day!

NickiJ said...

Brings back happy memories from my childhood too, yum, yum. Great to see your catchup with your "boy"!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Lovely little post, Jenny. I want to try your Chocolate Crunch...sounds so good and hubby is a real chocolate lover. What is a swiss roll pan?