Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Calling all Quilts

The car park was full to overflowing when Robin dropped me off at “Calling all Quilts”  exhibition, held at Hamilton Gardens Pavilion.  On paying the entry fee, I was told that the ticket entitled me to afternoon tea.  Great, I’m sure to need a cuppa and a sit down after walking around the hall for a while.  Ever hopeful of winning something, I purchased tickets in several raffles and made my way into the hall to view the work of the members of Waikato Patchworkers and Quilters Guild.

P5240004 Quilt Show – this way

First in view was Best in Show “Sue’s Flower Garden”, made by Lyn Rofe and quilted by Jenny Allen.  Lovely appliqué on a variety of cream background fabric, with some New York Beauty and other pieced blocks blocks showing discretely in the background.

P5240063 Sue’s Flower Garden

The colours of “Amongst the Stars”  would go very nicely in our caravan, I feel.  The photo doesn’t really do it justice, and looking up close, the machine quilting is just wonderful.  Made by Betty McLean and quilted by Linda Young, the requested colours for this quilt was grey, black and red.

P5240027

P5240028
Amongst the Stars

I must admit that I love bed quilts, and there were plenty of these hanging for me to admire.  “ Birds, Butterflies and Flowers”  was made by Mary Daborn for her daughter, and features both pieced blocks and appliqué.  Love the narrow pieced border too.

P5240023 Birds, Butterflies and Flowers

Raggy quilts are fun to make, and I have made several over the years.  Young Holly Rose Casey entered her “ Butterfly Quilt” in the Emerging Talent category.  Didn’t she do well!

P5240021Butterfly Quilt

Sandi Laurie stitched her wall hanging “Waiting for Dinner”  in a class with Sonya Prchal teaching appliqué and thread painting.  The bird looks so lifelike, Sandi did a great job.

P5240010 Waiting for Dinner

No, I didn’t touch a quilt at the show, just as well as look what happens when you do!

P5240061

So many lovely quilts took my fancy, I’ll need to do a repeat performance tomorrow, I think.

No comments: