Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Playing with Selvedges

It’s not as if I don’t have plenty of sewing to do, what with having so many UFOs that I’m too scared to count them.  But I really wanted to make another set of place mats for our breakfast table.  Thought I would use up some of those selvedges that are hanging about in a bag.   I used two fabrics, one for the backing, and another layer in the middle.    This is such easy sewing:  lay down the first selvedge, place the second one over the raw wedge, sew and repeat.  When it is big enough, trim, then bind.  Easy peasy.

P2010014   Selvedge placemats

Some of the strips are really narrow, while others are wider to show off the fabric.  They certainly look nice and colourful but I hardly made a dent in my selvedges.  Never mind, I’ve got another project in mind to use some more up.

I’m working steadily on a couple of UFOs too.  One just needs some hand stitching to complete it, and then I can take it along next week to our first quilt club meeting of the year.  It will be good to see what others have been doing over the holiday season.

2 comments:

Bev C said...

Hello Jenny,

Great use of the scraps selvages. Happy days. Bev.

Nancy J said...

Jenny, those mats are so lovely, and on the cross, a lot prettier than straight up and down. Cheers, Jean.