Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, October 6, 2012

More Quilts from Wellington Quilters Exhibition

There were so many great quilts at this exhibition that I just have to show you all some more.  When walking up to this quilt, the blue fabrics just glowed against the dark background in this dramatic quilt.  The intricate looking kaleidoscope blocks in the middle of the quilt are contained by pieced stars along the top and basket blocks at the bottom.  Made by Jocelyn Thornton.

DSCF2948 “Midnight Flowers”, by Jocelyn Thornton

There is certainly a touch of Japan in “Gateway”, by Phillipa Doyle.  The inspiration for this quilt was a Japanese Shinto Shrine Gate, and is made from vintage kimono fabric.  Phillipa won an award for Best Contemporary Quilt, but sadly the photo does not truly reflect the rich colours of the fabrics.

DSCF2955 “Gateway”, by Philippa Doyle

When I first started quilting, I always imagined that I might make a Cathedral Window quilt one day.  That has never happened, and probably never will.  So I was in awe of Anne Buckell’s “Liberty”, entirely hand sewn using 1010 Liberty fabric windows.  The plan was to make a cushion cover, but grew to a double bed size quilt, with the help of Liberty fabric donations from friends.  I chose this lovely quilt as my “Viewers Choice” of the exhibition.

DSCF2960 “Liberty”, by Anne Bucknell

This shows what a stitcher can do to while away the months of recuperation, spend lots of time doing hand appliqué.  “The Call of the Wild and Wonderful” features New Zealand birds aplenty, as well as some more fanciful ones.  Mary Cleveland won an award for Merit in Hand Appliqué.  She commented that the harmony of the colours and the pleasure of the hand work added much to her recovery and well being.

DSCF2962 “The Call of the Wild and Wonderful”, by Mary Cleveland

I rather liked the the graphic design of zig zags that simple piecing achieve.  Michelle Sutherland cut up rectangles from each fabric in her stash and has tried out different ideas to use them up.  She has picked a winner with this simple but effective design
.
DSCF2965“Zigzag” by  Michelle Sutherland

And keeping it simple, I’ll finish this little show with a simple hessian peg bag.  Perhaps our grannies all had one of these?  I can certainly remember pulling out threads of hessian and stitching coloured lengths of wool in between the threads.  This very simple but effective peg bag was made by Eileen McGlinchy.

DSCF2964 “Peg Bag”, by Eileen McGlinchy

So that’s it for today, I still have more photos from this exhibition if anyone is still interested.

2 comments:

Nancy J said...

Yes please, Jenny, your photos are great and as I cannot get to Wgn, the next best. And a warm welcome to my member's list.One day I hope to do a proper greeting to each of you, near and far. We have big winds, some hail, stormy skies, and rain. How about you? Greetings from Jean.

Lis Harwood said...

Yes please from me too and why don't you start with a Cathedral Windows cushion cover and see if it grows like Topsy!!